Natural Electrolyte Drink
Updated: Aug 28, 2021
We're in the dog days of Summer here with 100-degree temps and it's just plain ol' hot out during the peak hours. My boys started school last week and they're feeling a bit exasperated from the long hot days as they walk around campus. Intense heat aggravates the Pitta dosha so kids may seem a little extra cranky, exhausted, and irritated.
In the body, the excess heat can cause dehydration from sweating and you can feel depleted of natural energy leading to muscle fatigue and weakness, especially problematic for those involved in after-school sports. In the mind, it causes irritability, intensity and shorter tempers.
Here is a kid-friendly natural electrolyte drink that brings mighty cooling power and revitalization. Lime and Mint cool things down by removing excess heat while the Himalayan Pink Salt and Maple Syrup provide energy by replenishing both the moisture in your tissues and the minerals that maintain proper fluid balance. Coconut Water does both ~ cooling and replenishing!
- 4 cups room-temperature Water
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Coconut Water
- Juice of 1 Lime, fresh squeezed
- 2-3 tsp Maple Syrup
- a pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt
- a big handful of Mint leaves (about 10 leaves), roughly chopped
- Add Water to a quart-sized jar
- Squeeze in the fresh Lime juice, Maple Syrup, Pink Salt & Coconut Water
- Add the Mint Leaves
- Put on a lid, shake well a few times & let steep for at least 15 minutes
- Strain out the Mint Leaves (or leave them in & strain as serving each glass)
- Serve & store the rest in the fridge for about 5 days
While Summer is still going strong, I'm keeping this one in the fridge at the ready for when my boys finally get home from school.